The ContinU Plus Academy (CPA) recognises that every student is an individual developing at a unique pace; academically, socially and emotionally. The majority of students referred to the CPA are at the School Action Plus level of the Code of Practice on the Identification and Assessment of Students Special Educational Needs 2001 due to their behaviour and attitude to learning.
Therefore all students receive Special Educational Needs (SEN) provision. Access to alternative provision is the key driver and not the level of SEN provision that would be better delivered by a special school. The objectives of the provision are to:
• Promote positive attitudes to learning
• Provide students with equality of opportunity and promote social inclusion
• Raise educational achievement especially in relation to literacy and numeracy
• Promote students’ personal, spiritual, moral, cultural and social development as an integral part of their experience
• Foster positive relationships based on trust
• Develop students’ self-esteem and self-worth
• Prepare for the next stage of their career e.g. reintegration, college placements, work experience
• Work in partnership with parents/carers
• Work in partnership with all relevant support agencies
The ContinU Plus Academy’s SEN Policy outlines the mechanisms for achieving, monitoring and evaluating these objectives.