Why Study Design Technology?
Do you love solving problems and being creative? Or perhaps you just keep coming up with great ideas but don’t know what to do with them? Design and technology is an area of study that focuses on planning, designing and creating things which people use.
While studying this subject, you can learn how to design and make anything from electronics, clothes and furniture.
By studying design and technology, you’ll be able to build up your creativity, problem solving, planning, and evaluation skills. Some projects are done via group work; you’ll also gain communication and teamwork skills.
“It’s nice learning skills I can use after school”
Who teaches it?
Krissy, an experienced teacher teaches Design Technology.
How is it taught?
You will have two 70-minute lessons per week.
What do we learn?
Students will further develop their subject knowledge in design and technology that builds on the skills from key stage 3. Students will explore in more depth designing and producing, and problem solving. They will continue to develop their confidence in all aspects of the subject.
Students learn how to take design risks, helping them to become resourceful, innovative and enterprising citizens. They should develop an awareness of practices from the creative, engineering and manufacturing industries. Through the critique of the outcomes of design and technology activity, both historic and present day, students should develop an understanding of its impact on daily life and the wider world and understand that high-quality design and technology is important to the creativity, culture, sustainability, wealth and wellbeing of the nation and the global community.
- Use research and develop design criteria to inform the design of products
- Generate, develop, model and communicate their ideas
- Select from and use tools and equipment to perform practical tasks
- Select from and use range of materials and components
- Investigate and analyse products
- Understand how key events and individuals in design and technology have helped shape the world
- Apply their understanding of how to strengthen, stiffen and reinforce more complex structures
Where could it lead?
- Aerospace engineer
- Brick Layer